The Colt

• September 8Follow the AHS Yearbook on Twitter @AHSColtsYB

• October 8Follow The Colt on Twitter @TheAHSColt

Representation does sell, Hollywood needs to adapt

Back to Article
Back to Article

“Coco’s” victory at the Oscars and “Black Panther’s” success at the box office symbolize the start of a change in Hollywood and the film industry. Representation does sell and representation of minorities is needed for the movie industry to progress.

Representation has always been an issue in Hollywood. From white actors being cast for non-white characters, to the rejecting of a role because of one’s color of skin, there has been a problem and it has only recently been questioned.

The idea that non-white films will not sell has been debunked continuously, but films that have non-white roles continue to be questioned. The successes of these films are taken with a grain of salt instead of celebration for their groundbreaking accomplishments.

“Coco’s” Oscar victory was celebrated by the hispanic community with joy. The other main contender, “Boss Baby”, would have caused a protest if it had won. The justification of the anger was debated as the hours counted down for the results.

“Coco’s” victory proves that the times are changing and that the Oscar’s panel and Hollywood have to quickly adapt or be lost in the crowd.”

A film that celebrates non-white culture will sell, “Coco” and “Black Panther” prove this. representation is what the industry needs, and the movie-goers are proving it with their wallets and social media outcries.

The anger behind the possible victory of  Pixar’s “Boss Baby” was reasonable, no one in the Oscar’s panel questioned if this movie deserved the award. This was not the same for “Get Out”.

A panelist on the Oscar committee questioned if the film deserved a spot in the Oscar’s, citing that it’s symbolism was shallow. This angered fans of the film and activists alike, why should “Get Out” be questioned while “Boss Baby” was allowed?

Skepticism of this reaction was reasonable, why should one movie be held on a higher pedestal than others? Citing racism is a valid response, especially when the panelist admitted to not understanding the context behind the movie and the impact that it had.

This is not a new problem in the film industry or Hollywood, we are just being exposed to some counterarguments in a changing social environment. “Coco’s” victory proves that the times are changing and that the Oscar’s panel and Hollywood have to quickly adapt or be lost in the crowd.

Weinstein’s failing company and the Me Too movement proves that change can happen and will happen. If the movie industry cannot adapt, they will suffer the same fate.

In the next 25 years the industry will witness a revolution. It is most likely that it will be a change for the better, but a lot of sacrifices will be made for the sake of equality and representation.

About the Writer
Lee Cervantes, Staff Writer

A senior with a coffee addiction, second year newspaper staffer. Bee fanatic. The only hockey fan in a 30 mile radius.