The Colt

• September 8Follow the AHS Yearbook on Twitter @AHSColtsYB

• October 8Follow The Colt on Twitter @TheAHSColt

“Build the Wall” rally cry creates metaphorical wall, dampens the American Dream

Protesters hold various signs and banners at a DACA rally in San Francisco. Image-Pax Ahimsa Gethen/Creative Commons

The recent government shutdown led to a rise in political and racial tensions. DACA recipients and the Hispanic community faced pressure as the 69-hour shut down period began and ended.

This backlash isn’t new, but anti-immigration groups have become more vocal with the rise of the Trump administration.

“Build the Wall” chants and distinctively red “Make America Great Again” hats have become symbols for the social pressure and fear that the Hispanic community is facing.

A red hat symbolizes trouble for most hispanics, myself included. Uncomfortable stares, harsh tones and rejection have become common in the society of Trump’s administration. But, it isn’t anything new.

Instead, it has become more socially acceptable for hate to be more open.

The American Dream started on a group of immigrants wanting a better future. The immigrant dream is the exact same thing.”

— Lee Cervantes

“Why don’t they just become citizens?” Has become a common question for those who do not have to face the struggles of the immigration system. Sadly, it isn’t that simple.

Immigration policies are never consistent, with a new administration comes new laws. This administration has set the bar to a near-impossible high standard.

Leaving the United States and re-entering with a Visa is not easy, for most it activates a 10-year forgiveness period before you can receive the Visa. Most immigrants have already planted roots in the United States, abandoning their family and businesses is an impossible request to ask for them.

American-born children sponsoring their parents has become more difficult as well. When the child is 21, they can sponsor their parent and start the immigration process. But, this process has become over-crowded and the wait time is a turn off, this leads to immigrants marrying citizen in hopes of a faster process.

The biggest limitation of applying for citizenship is cost. Most immigrants do not have the privilege of jobs above minimum wage, making the immigration process more difficult to accomplish.

Personally, my mother is going through the process, this led me to expressing the difficult process of immigration. Our four year struggle for her green card is still not over and the costs continue to pile up. The limited money that was set aside for my college fund has been used up for legal expenses.

Our expenses will continue to rise, promises of “When I get my green card I will be able to pay it off” are what we depend on. But the fight will continue on, the privilege to be able to go through the process must not be taken advantage of.

So when Jeff Sessions said, “What good does it do to bring in somebody who’s illiterate in their own country, has no skills, and is going to struggle in our country and not be successful?” it makes sense for one to get angry at the lack of awareness he has.

When Donald Trump asks for a wall and looks for “a nuclear family,” it confuses and angers everyone who struggles in the United States.

The American Dream started on a group of immigrants wanting a better future. The immigrant dream is the exact same thing.

“Build the Wall” brings nothing but tensions and is a waste of money. Our current government forgets that immigrants, are in fact human beings. A different skin tone and a second tongue does not make us aliens, the term illegal-alien should not be applied to human beings.

We are all human beings, a wall should not divide us.