The Colt

• September 8Follow the AHS Yearbook on Twitter @AHSColtsYB

• October 8Follow The Colt on Twitter @TheAHSColt

Colts advance to round three on two big wins

Back to Article
Back to Article

The varsity football team won two playoff games during Thanksgiving break; one against Keller Fossil Ridge and the second against El Paso Montwood.

The first game against Fossil Ridge was a defensive shutdown by the Colts as   they held one of the top offenses in DFW to only 13 points.

Fossil Ridge’s first offensive drive ended in an interception by Arlington senior DB Zion Mills. The Colts followed the turnover with a 35-yard rushing touchdown by senior RB Kenland McCray.

The second quarter was all Arlington as they scored two times in seven minutes with a 17-yard touchdown pass from senior QB D’Montae Davis to sophomore WR Jahari Rodgers and another touchdown from McCray. The score was 20-0 in favor of the Colts. Fossil Ridge scored late in the half to cut the deficit to 20-7.

Arlington attacked Fossil Ridge through the run game the entire day, adding another rushing touchdown with 2:20 left in the third quarter. Head coach Scott Peach said the team was counting on their experienced leaders on offense to go out and win the game.

“We felt good going in offensively,” he said. “We’ve got five offensive linemen, a tight end, a tailback, and a quarterback who are all seniors. We could get behind those eight kids and win the ballgame,”

The Fossil Ridge quarterback did not play the entire second half due to an apparent injury and the Panthers were not able to find success, with their only touchdown coming on a 60-yard screen pass late in the fourth quarter. The Colt defense held tough all game.

“We were relentless to the ball,” Peach said of the defense. “We took away the main things they wanted to do. We tackled physically all night long.”

The Colts won their first bi-district championship in five years, beating a previously undefeated Fossil Ridge team in the process. They would face El Paso Montwood in Odessa the following Saturday afternoon.

The game against the Rams from West Texas was an offensive explosion, as the Colts scored at least 21 points in three of four quarters. Arlington led 35-7 at the half and brought home the win with a 77-42 victory.

According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Colt offense gained an astounding 775 yards. Three players, Davis, McCray, and sophomore RB Zander Benson each rushed for 220 yards. This was the Colts best offensive game this year by far.

WHAT’S FOR THE COLTS:

Arlington will face Southlake Carroll Saturday, December 2 at 7 p.m. at the Ford Center at the Star in Frisco. The Dragons of Southlake defeated the previous 6A Division II champion, Desoto, last week at the Star. This will be the first opportunity for the Colts to advance to the Region finals since 2009.

About the Writer
Tyler Seibold, Staff Writer

I am a senior at AHS and this is my first year writing for the newspaper. I am a varsity golfer and a member of Key Club. I love writing and talking about...