• July 17Follow Arlington High Student Media on Instagram @ahsstumedia
  • July 17Follow Arlington High Student Media on Twitter @ahsstumedia
The student news site of Arlington High School

The Colt

The Colt

The Colt

Jersey retired in honor of former Colt football star

Shelby Dykes
Luke Joeckel holds his horseshoes high as the crowd roars. Joeckel’s high school jersey, No. 72, was retired.

With great fanfare, AHS celebrated its first-ever jersey retirement Friday morning during the pep rally.

Luke Joeckel, 2010 graduate, returned to Colt Country for the ceremony and was presented with two framed No. 72 jerseys. With family and friends cheering, he took the microphone from head football coach Scott Peach and expressed his honor.

“This is one of the coolest things to be doing,” Joeckel said. “I’ve done some cool things like going to New York and the draft, but to come back here and retire my jersey is by far the best.”

While playing for the Colts, Joeckel helped his team advance through play-offs year after year and was an All-State offensive lineman as a senior. He signed with Texas A&M and won the starting left tackle position as a true freshman. Joeckel earned a spot on the Big 12’s All-Freshman team in 2010. He continued his rapid development as a junior, being recognized as an All-American selection and winning the Outland Trophy, which is awarded to the best United States college football interior lineman. In January 2013, Joeckel decided to forgo his final year of eligibility at Texas A&M to play in the NFL. Joeckel was the 2nd overall pick in the NFL draft and signed on as the starting right tackle for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

One of the framed jerseys will go home with Joeckel while the other will hang in the AHS Field House. The coaching staff also unveiled an oversized banner of Joeckel that will hang in the weight room as inspiration to current and future Colt athletes.

With an overflowing gym on its feet, Joeckel gave his love to his alma mater.

“I was in the same hallways and doing the same thing you are,” he said, “and after leaving I realized how great it really was to be in Colt Country.”

Luke Joeckel, 2010 graduate and football star, says a few words to the crowd as his family looks on. Joeckel was honored at a jersey retirement ceremony held during the pep rally on Friday.
Luke Joeckel and head coach Scott Peach embrace during the jersey retirement ceremony. Peach coached Joeckel during his years at AHS and now Joeckel plays for the Jacksonville Jaguars.